As a yoga practitioner and lover, you have probably researched your fair share of yoga mats. After all, we all want to find the perfect yoga mat for our practice. But there is quite a lot to consider when searching for the best mat for you. For example, the size, the price, and the material. Many yogis are now going for natural fitness yoga mats as opposed to synthetic ones, and with good reason.
So what is the best material for your yoga mat? Well, there are plenty to choose from, but if you are looking for a natural yoga mat made from eco-friendly materials, there are quite a few options on the market. To narrow it down can be somewhat of a large task. However, in this post, we will look at two eco-friendly, natural yoga mat materials and why each, or a combination of the two, could be perfect for your practice. Let’s take a look.
Cork Yoga Mat
Cork makes a wonderful material for yoga mats. Why? Well, for many reasons! Besides being a natural resource, there are several benefits to using cork yoga mats, not the least of which is that it is a natural material straight from Mother Earth. Below, we will take a look at some of the benefits of choosing a cork yoga mat.
- It is eco-friendly and sustainable. Cork is a renewable resource. No trees are cut down to make these yoga mats. Instead, the bark from the trees is harvested and used, and regrows very quickly. Each tree can produce bark for up to 200 years!
- Cork is recyclable and biodegradable. Again, very eco-friendly! Production cork waste is typically ground up and used to make other cork products.
- Cork naturally resists dust, moisture, and insects. It has a great grip and is non-slip, even when wet. Plus, if you are practicing outside, you won’t have to worry about bugs all over your mat.
- It is antimicrobial. This is just a fancy way of saying that it is very antibacterial. It is easy to clean and won’t hold on to bacteria which can leave an unpleasant smell.
Cork is an excellent choice for a natural fitness yoga mat. However, it isn’t the only option! Let’s look at natural rubber, another great choice for a natural yoga mat.
Another natural material, natural rubber is a great option for yoga mats. Like cork, it has many benefits and is eco-friendly. Below are some benefits of choosing a natural rubber yoga mat for your practice.
- It is made from sustainable material. Made from a renewable resource, this material is an excellent choice for the eco-friendly yogi. Fully sustainable, natural rubber does not cause any damage to the environment.
- Rubber is comfortable. Rubber has a nice, soft feel to it that gives you plenty of support as your practice. However, you want to make sure that you aren’t allergic to latex, because natural rubber and latex are one in the same and this could cause some uncomfortable side effects.
- It is very durable. Natural rubber can last for years if treated correctly. You won’t have to worry about wear and tear with a natural rubber mat. Instead, take it with you wherever you go and use it as much as you’d like!
- It has antimicrobial properties. Like cork, natural rubber is antimicrobial, making it extremely easy to keep it clean and keep it from smelling. Even when it gets wet and sweaty, it will remain clean. Just a quick wipe off after your practice and you are good to go!
Natural rubber also makes an excellent choice for a yoga mat. Cork and natural rubber, two natural, sustainable materials that are durable and easy to clean, both make great natural fitness yoga mats. However, what if you put them together? That’s right! We’re talking about a combination yoga mat! Let’s take a look at why this combination might be great for you.
Combination - Cork and Natural Rubber Yoga Mat
This combination of two natural materials could be the perfect mat for you. Your mat will still be biodegradable and eco-friendly and you get the best of both worlds from each of these materials. So why choose a combination mat?
- It is extremely durable. This combination mat will last you quite a long time and won’t begin to deteriorate after only a few months of using it. You can get a lot of great use out of this natural yoga mat.
- It has an excellent grip. Both cork and natural rubber have a natural non-slip surface. The combination of the two is no different. Practice all of your poses with ease and without slipping on this cork and natural rubber mat.
- You are doing the world a favor! Again, two fully sustainable and renewable resources is what we are talking about here. Both are eco-friendly and both are 100% natural.
- No harsh, toxic chemicals. Some synthetic materials used in yoga mats can contain harsh chemicals that are not good for your body over time. However, these natural yoga mat materials contain no toxins at all.
If you are looking for the best natural fitness yoga mat for your practice, then consider a combination of cork and natural rubber for the win. These materials are an excellent combo and will give you a great practice.