How To Clean A Cork Yoga Mat
So you’ve made the switch to a cork yoga mat, and what’s not to love? Not only are they non-slip and excellent for practice, but they are also environmentally friendly and made from 100% sustainable material. Cork yoga mats really are the perfect mat for yoga practice. However, because they are a bit pricier than some mats made of rubber or plastic materials, it is also essential to take good care of them.
Besides storing your yoga mat in a cool, dry place out of the sun and away from harsh weather, it is important to properly clean your cork yoga mat. If you are wondering how to clean a cork yoga mat to keep it in top condition for as long as possible, then continue reading. We will give you a step-by-step rundown of how to clean your cork yoga mat and keep it in great shape for as long as possible. But first, let’s take a look at why it is important to clean your cork yoga mat.
Why clean your cork yoga mat?
Just like anything nice, you must take care of your yoga mat if you want it to last for a long time. There are several things you can do to ensure your yoga mat lasts for years, even with regular use. But why is it so important? Well, for starters, think about all the sweat that comes off your body when you practice. Now think of that multiplied by the number of times you practice each week. Now each month. And each year. That’s a lot of sweat and bacteria!
If you want to keep your yoga mat clean and free of stinky bacteria that could potentially be infectious, then you need to clean it regularly. Luckily for you, cork yoga mats are naturally antimicrobial, meaning that bacteria do not stick to them easily. However, over time, if you do not clean your mat as recommended, then there is the possibility of dirt and potentially harmful microorganisms building up and living on the surface. No one wants to share their practice with a bunch of dirty bacteria!
Cork yoga mats are somewhat self-cleaning, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to give them a nice wipe down every once in a while. Plus, keeping your mat clean will prolong its life! If you want to keep your mat in great working condition, keep its non-slip traction, and keep it looking good, then cleaning it regularly is a must.
How often should you clean a cork yoga mat?
The answer to this depends on your preferences and how often you use your mat. Some people wipe their mat down after every use, while some only clean it once a week. Unless you are a heavy sweater or you use your mat daily, then once a week should be sufficient. Again, it is up to you and how often you feel comfortable cleaning it.
If you are someone who uses your mat every day, then you may want to consider cleaning it two or even three times a week to ensure that your mat doesn’t acquire bacteria or microorganisms and that it stays in good condition. Also, if you are someone who sweats rather heavily, then you may want to wipe down your mat after every use. This is a preventative measure, ensuring that your mat doesn’t develop any unpleasant odors.
How do you clean a cork yoga mat?
Some cork yoga mat users choose to simply wipe their mats down with a cloth soaked in warm water, and that is completely fine. However, if you want to give your mat a nice deep clean, then we will lay out how to clean your yoga mat in 3 easy steps. Let’s get started!
1. Create a natural yoga mat cleaning spray.If you want to kill any bacteria that may be residing on your yoga mat, then you will need an antibacterial spray. And we don’t recommend using a bunch of chemicals to do so. Harsh chemicals found in many household cleaners can ruin a cork yoga mat by stripping the top layer and leaving you with a disintegrated yoga mat. They will leave your yoga mat without its grip, ensuring that you are slipping and sliding all over the place. Not to mention, you don’t want those chemicals seeping into your body from your yoga mat! That’s why we suggest going natural. Here’s how to make a natural cork yoga mat cleaning spray:
- Grab a spray bottle and fill it about ¾ of the way with clean water.
- Add either white distilled vinegar or witch hazel, whichever you have handy. (Note, the vinegar has a stronger smell than the witch hazel.)
- Once your bottle has been filled, you can then choose one or two of your favorite essential oils to add in. We suggest 5-10 drops depending on how strong you want it to smell. Some of the best antibacterial essential oils are lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, and lemongrass. You can mix and match, creating a yummy smelling, all-natural cleaner for your mat!
- Once you’ve added everything, you can close the spray bottle and shake to mix.
2. Spray your new cleaner on the mat.
(Pro tip: For areas where your mat is especially dirty, spray the cleaner on and let sit for 1-2 minutes.) Make sure to spray evenly over your entire mat so that every part gets clean. If your mat isn’t very dirty, you don’t have to let the cleaner sit, but you can if you’d like to ensure that it works properly.
3. Wipe down your mat.
Using a damp cloth (make sure to use a soft fiber cloth and nothing too hard), wipe down your entire mat. Be sure to wipe the areas that tend to see the most contact with your body (i.e. hands and feet) down very well, wiping away any excess dirt or debris. Once you’ve wiped down your mat, be sure not to roll it up until it has dried completely. Ensuring that it’s dry before storing it will help you avoid mold and mildew, which can happen if you store it while it’s still damp.
Voila! You have a clean yoga mat to continue to practice on for a long time to come. It’s very simple to clean your cork yoga mat, and well worth the time. Keeping your mat clean will save you a lot of time and money in the future because it will ensure that you don’t have to buy another yoga mat for many years to come.
Check out our cork yoga mat collections .
PRODUCT WE LOVE